Thursday, October 6, 2011

MOFO - Day 6 - More Tempeh and The Vegan Table!

Day six and still going strong! Today I bring you yet another delectable preparation for the might tempeh. One of my blogateers mentioned to me yesterday that tempeh is much more easily digestible than tofu for people who are sensitive to some soy products. Score another point for TEMPEH!

This week's cookbook challenge over at the PPK is The Vegan Table by Colleen Patrick-Goudreau. I just got this book in the mail the other day. I am now asking myself, "What was I waiting for?" I really like her writing style and the layout of the book. She offers great seasonal menus and helpful hints for entertaining for all diffent kinds of events. The pictures are gorgeous! I love to entertain, so this book is a winner already in my book. If you aren't into entertaining, this book is still worth getting. It looks to be full of really great and pretty healthy recipes. I've only made one so far, but I have my eyes on quite a few.


I asked Fred to pick the first recipe. The only criteria I gave him is that it had to contain tempeh. Now, for those who have been following the blog for a while, you already probably know that Fred is not a fan of tempeh. He finds the hint of bitterness unappealing and something about the texture doesn't always work for him. I am happy to report that he ate his tempeh happily this time! He chose the Sweet and Sour Tempeh. He was semi-ashamed to admit that he loved the junky bright red sweet and sour sauce you get in cheap Chinese restaurants. I was never a fan, so I was quite pleased when this recipe didn't turn out anything like that version. It more closely resembled the Thai versions out there. I totally spaced out starting the rice ahead of time, so I threw on some quinoa. I have to say, I may want quinoa with all of my Asian inspired dishes from here on out (after all it is the only grain that is a complete protein---bonus!).


Don't forget to check back Friday! I will be giving some lucky follower their own brand spanking new copy of The Best Veggie Burgers on the Planet by Joni Marie Newman. I just got my copy in the mail this week. It looks awesome and I can't wait to try some burgers! Make sure you comment of Friday's post to be eligible to win!! Tell your friends too!!!

5 comments:

Erinwiko said...

This looks really good! I haven't made nearly enough from The Vegan Table... but it sure is pretty to look at.

vegan.in.brighton said...

I just bought a copy of The Vegan Table & I might have to try that when it arrives. I'm not the biggest tempeh fan (unless it's mashed or sliced thin) so I'm always looking for new ways to try it.

Dawn said...

I haven't gotten Vegan Table yet, but I did just get her Color Me Vegan and it looks really good too. Glad you liked your first try. It's lovely.

foodfeud said...

Ooh delicious. This cookbook is seriously one of my favorites. I love Colleen Patrick-Goudreau and all of her recipes are flawless!

Veg-In-Training said...

I can't wait to have more time to cook out of this one!