Wednesday, October 26, 2011

MOFO - Day 26 - Pinto Beans - Burger Me!

It's becoming a musical week in our house as Fred and I indulge in many beany dishes. I don't usually have issues with beans, but after having many bean dishes in a row, well I'll leave that to the imagination. Haha. Today's protein fix comes to you courtesy of the pinto bean. Pinto beans are very common in Mexican cooking. They are great in re-fried beans and simmered whole for Mexican dishes. Pinto beans have 6 grams of protein per 1/2 cup serving. They also have 6 grams of fiber. Click here to find out more about the BPA free cans that Eden Organics uses. Very interesting and health promoting stuff!

Black bean burgers are popular on many menus across our great nation. But pinto beans are a great substitute in this version of the Black Bean BBQ Burger from Joni Marie Newman's The Best Veggie Burgers on the Planet (pg. 90). I was out of black beans and slipped the pintos in instead. They were really good. The texture is most excellent after letting them chill in the fridge for several hours before forming the patties. I served mine with a nice spicy pico de gallo and lots of BBQ sauce. I also made the sweet potato fries from the same book. What a great and really filling lunch!!!

6 comments:

jessy said...

when we don't cook our own beans we use the Eden's beans - they're the only food from a can we'll eat because BPA scares the cr@p out of me. ha! those pinto bean burgers look crazy awesome and those grill marks are PERFECT!

Erin said...

Looks like a great burger!

Jackie said...

yes, these burgers were awesome! But I got there late and didn't get any of those yummy looking fries!

vegan.in.brighton said...

That' one perfect looking burger.

Veg-In-Training said...

Welcome Dolphingirl! I will have to check out your show!

Anonymous said...

Eden is one of the few companies I trust and use. Thanks for this giveaway....I look forward to browsing through your blog! I would make Vegan Feijoada..mmmm