Saturday, October 15, 2011

MOFO - Day 15 - Vegan Soul Kitchen

This week's cookbook challenge book was Vegan Soul Kitchen by Bryant Terry. I've always been curious about this book. Interestingly enough, this past week I have a new co-worker who just happens to be doing some non-vegan catering with his wife. Their theme: soul food and Mexican fusion. So I asked him if he had any veg friendly menu items. He said they really didn't. I brought this book in for him to check out for ideas and also gave him a try of the Red Beans and brown rice from the book. He was impressed. Score another point for awesome vegan goodness.

I have to say that when I first looked through the book, I was pretty indifferent. I guess the saying you eat with your eyes first is true. The book has a few black and white pictures and that is it. I'm sure I'm not alone when I say I love pictures in cookbook, the more the better. It is kind of cool that he suggestes music with all of the recipes. It gives the book a fun little twist.

I've only made two dishes from it so far and both were really good: Crisp Green Beans with Roasted Shallots and Walnuts and Red Beans and Brown Rice with Red Wine Simmered Seitan. The recipe for the red beans and rice calls for an entire bottle of wine for simmering. I honestly think you could get away with 3 cups, saving a glass for yourself to drink while you are cooking. For me the real star of the show were the green beans. The roasted shallots gave them a creamy rich flavor. The toasted walnuts provided a beautiful earthiness and crunch to the dish. The tarragon dressing was more on the vinegary side...which I love! Somehow I ended up with far more dressing than I needed. But I am sure it will be great on a simple salad. I'm looking forward to trying some more from this one down the road. I just need to get over the lack of pictures thing.


The cover


3 comments:

Celia said...

Yay! That's one of my favorite cookbooks. I highly HIGHLY recommend you take the time to make gumbo Z. And the watermelon rind pickles. And... Well, just about everything. But gumbo Z is by far my favorite from that book.

coldandsleepy said...

The weirdest thing is that I NEVER noticed there weren't any color pictures in this cookbook until people started mentioning it in the PPK Cookbook Challenge thread. Apparently pictures aren't as important to me as I thought!

So many things appeal to me in VSK but it seems like all the things that sound best to me also sound like more effort than I um, usually put into cooking. Which is probably why they sound so amazing.

Veg-In-Training said...

I will have to check out that Gumbo Z. I saw it and thought....hmmm that one looks pretty darn good!

cold and sleepy - the green beans recipes was pretty easy. You should give it a try!