Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Prescott Shopping Spree - Honeyman

We took a little two day getaway to Prescott, AZ . Prescott is a really pretty little town. It has a small town feel and mentality. Everyone seems to know each other. The town square is bustling with locals and visitors alike. Prescott is also a popular stop for bikers. The famous Whiskey Row hosts lots of bars and bands. Even better than that, our granddaughter lives there. We got a little baby time with her.

We decided to stay at a cute little place called the Motor Lodge. The owners took a run down old motor lodge and turned it into this sweet boutique motel. The rooms have all been remodeled. Most of the rooms have a porch with a table and chairs. The rooms are very retro and very clean. The bed...OMG...like a cloud. The owners are awesome. They make you feel right at home and they take great pride in their place. Every morning they bring you warm, fresh baked cookies (not vegan, but if you are traveling with omnis it is such a great touch). We did do some hanging out on the porch watching the sun go down and playing Yatzee. 


Oh, did I forget to mention, our room had a kitchenette? I didn't know this before we went. Next time, I'll be prepared!


Just around the corner we found this really kick booty little grocery store call the Honeyman. Much to my surprise they had a great selection of grains, beans, nuts, herbs, spices and holistic remedies. There were lots of vegan products to choose from. We were helped by a super awesome girl named Tamika. She had a great sense of humor and knew a lot about what was and wasn't vegan. Bonus! 

I spent an inordinate amount of time checking out all of the stuff they had. There were so many things to check out. I had to hold myself back from buying too much. I have this tendency to do that, then I have to find room in my already bursting pantry. There were a few things I just felt I had to have or try. They had really good prices on wild rice and black sesame seeds. In the basket they went. I found a couple of things I hadn't seen or used before. One was a white dahl and the other was jade rice. I haven't quite figured out what I am going to do with them, but if you have suggestions...I'm all ears.

I'm sure I've mentioned more than once that I love chiles and spice. I'm not sure why, but I haven't really seen many guajillo chiles in my travels. They had the dried chiles and powder, so of course I bought them both. Some 20+ years ago I discovered szechwan peppercorns. I hadn't thought about them for quite a while. There they were, beckoning to be taken home with me. 

I'm trying to make more beans from scratch rather than using canned. They had a great selection and I picked two: the very pretty Anasazi beans and cranberry beans. I think Terry has a recipe in Vegan Latina that uses cranberry beans. I'm going to have to check!

I'm super excited about creating with my bag of goodies. I'd love to get your ideas on what you would do with this take. If you have an idea of something I could create with these, leave me a comment. I just might custom make a recipe especially for you. 

3 comments:

Kenike said...

Ooh. I have to look for that cranberry bean recipe too, cause I have some to use myself. Sounds like you picked up quite a few goodies. :)

Veg-In-Training said...

I am excited to use them and go back for more!!!

foodfeud said...

The jade rice sounds really interesting! I've never heard of it before but I'd like to see what you do with it.