Saturday, June 25, 2011

Bountiful Baskets - Easy Breakfast Parfait

Through the grapevine and a few friends I learned about Bountiful Baskets food co-op. This is not my first go around with produce co-ops or CSA's. I love the idea of both. The draw back for me was always that I had a hard time getting through all the produce (I was single and now there are just two of us) before I was required to get or pick up the next order. The really nice thing about Bountiful Baskets is that you have more control over when you get your produce. You don't have to worry about putting your deliveries on hold if you can't pick up your goodies one week. Each week, the organizers send out an e-mail that reminds you of the deadline for that week's pickup. If you decide you want a share, you go on line before the deadline and place your order for that week.

Each week is a surprise. You are never sure what beautiful goodies will come in your share. They get the freshest in season produce they can. I love this surprise element. It kind of forces me to be a bit more creative in the kitchen...and y'all know how much I hate that...NOT. I have noticed with three of the co-ops I have been involved with, there seems to be a lot of fruit. For me personally, this is the only down side. I eat a lots of veggies and not so much fruit. I am still a little hard pressed to use all of the fruit before it goes bad. But for most households, this would not be an issue. So take a look at all of the organic produce only $26.00 gets you. Below is a picture of this week's box contents. That is a lot of organic produce for that price!!!


My goal is to find healthy, creative and hopefully cool ways (it's going to be 112 here today). I'll be posting as I go this week. I got a very good start by making this simple breakfast parfait. I used some of those beautiful organic strawberries. I diced them into bite sized pieces. In a mini trifle dish, I layered strawberries, vanilla soy yogurt and Nature's Path Hemp Plus Granola cereal. Try this easy and cool dish for a quick summer breakfast.

4 comments:

Kenike said...

I have loved the idea of baskets too, I just can't get through that much produce ever in my single household. This place makes it sound doable now. Thanks. :)

foodfeud said...

I've always wanted to be part of a CSA but was never really available for pick up times. I'm also really bad about using veg up in time too. The parfait looks great, I wanted something like that yesterday but my yogurt went bad!

The Dine-amic Duo said...

Parfaits aren't just for breakfast anymore, makes a yummy dessert too!

Veg-In-Training said...

It can be challenging to get through all of the produce. I'm going to be making lots of yumminess with this week's take. I see some green juice in my immediate future.