Thursday, October 16, 2008

Vegan MOFO Day 16 - Butler's Soy Curls

As an aspiring veg I am always trying to find products that will satisfy that primal "meaty" instinct in Fred and me. A few months back, I was recipe testing for the lovely Joanna. One of the recipes called for a stange new ingredient...soy curls. Soy curls are a great source of protien. They are made with the whole bean, so they pack a pretty darn good nutritional punch. Each serving has 10 grams of protien.

Just last night I was discussing the glory of soy curls with two of my very good omni friends. They are totally supportive of my vegan tendencies and are very curious about new products and recipes I introduce them to. We are actually splitting my next order of soy curls, so they can experiment with them.

These little beauties are great for the novice cook who doesn't want to hassle with pressing tofu or boiling tempeh. Soy curls are anything but intimidating. They are super easy to use. All you have to do is re-hydrate them in hot water or veggie broth. Once they are rehydrated, you can use them in so many dishes. They are a great substitute in recipes that call for diced or shredded chicken.


One of my favorite test recipes from Isa's upcoming brunch book were made with soy curls. The Courico Tacos With Grilled Pineapple Salsa are addicting. The recipe was supposed to serve 4. Hah! Fred and I ate almost the whole recipe in one sitting.



Fred has been asking me for months to make up a binder of easy quick recipes for him to make when I am working bazillions of hours. I will definitely be including lots of soy curl recipes because they are so darn easy and quick to use. One of our favorite quick soy curl meals is an easy soy curl bbq sandwich with carmelized onions and hot chow chow mix if we have it on hand. It takes about 10 minutes to whip up and it is so delicious.
Take a look at my post from Day 13. The stuffed pita and the stuffed tomato both feature soy curls. If you haven't tried soy curls yet, get online and order yourself some. You will never see soy in the same way!!!

1 comment:

KitteeBee said...

i like soy curls enough that i mail orderd 12 pounds, since i can't get them here. now dazee tells me they aren't his favorite?!! ha ha. you lose, buddy!

anyway, i like them a lot. i use them in a modified fajita recipe from vegan vittles that is amazing...

xo
kittee