Monday, September 3, 2012

Hatch Chile Season is Upon Us

Every year it's the same thing. I get all tingly in the tummy and the tongue. My inner New Mexican comes to life and I anxiously await the coming of the Hatch Chiles like a child waiting for Santa. Well my friends, today was like Christmas morning. The Sprouts Markets in my neighborhood had the REAL Hatch Chiles from New Mexico for only $.69 per pound.

Fred heard a rumor that several of the local grocery stores were selling chiles grown in Mexico as "Hatch" chiles. Well anyone knows New Mexico Hatch chiles are grown from magical seeds in magical soil. The chiles we purchased were confirmed to be US, New Mexico grown. Score. Now for years I have been buying my chiles from a small market that roasted them for me, but sadly charging a rather outrageous price; a price I was more than willing to pay for my precious chiles. This year I bought them fresh. I had planned on roasting them on my grill when I remembered a random conversation I had with a co-worker/friend a while back. I remembered him saying he had a roaster. As luck would have it, he still had it and Fred picked it up from him this morning. What transpired was a fun night of roasting, enjoying a Mexican beer and some pool time. Oh yes, then there was the tacos!

Here they are waiting for me to throw them in the roaster.


Here is the roaster waiting for the chiles.


Perfecting my roasting technique. This needs to be an annual event/party!


Ready for packaging. We freeze 'em and use them all year long.


The first thing I decided to do with them? Tacos baby!!


Seitan Hatch Chile Tacos

Makes 8 tacos

Taco filling

1 tablespoon olive oil
1 medium onion, diced small
2 large hot green chiles (preferably Hatch) roasted, peeled and diced (approx 1/3 cup)
8 oz seitan, diced small
1 tablespoon medium chile powder
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
1/2 teaspoon Mexican oregano
1/2 teaspoon chipotle powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon granulated garlic
1/4 teaspoon granulated onion
1 teaspoon agave nectar
1/2 cup water

8 crispy corn taco shells, prepared per package directions
1 cup shredded lettuce
1 large tomato, diced
1 large avocato, diced
Taco sauce or salsa of choice (I use Tapatio hot sauce)

In a 10 inch non-stick or iron skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add onions and green chiles and saute until onions are soft, about 5 minutes. Add diced seitan and saute until browned, about 3-5 minutes. Add all dried spices and agave nectar. Stir until well combined and saute until just fragrant, about 1 minutes. Add water. Simmer until liquid is gone, about 5-7 minutes. Turn heat off.

While taco filling is cooking, bake taco shells according to package directions. Add about 2-3 tablespoons taco mixture in each taco shell. Top with shredded lettuce, diced tomatoes, diced avocados.   Sprinkle with hot sauce or salsa. You can also dollop some vegan sour cream on top if that's how you roll. 

2 comments:

Sarah C said...

Thank you for this! I'm new to NM and trying to figure out what to do with these chiles, which are clearly an obsession here. I keep asking people what we use all the chiles for and they say "put them in everything," which hasn't been a particularly helpful comment to this newbie. So I'm delighted to have an actual recipe to use them in!

Veg-In-Training said...

Hi Sarah,

That's funny. I do have to say I agree with the put them in everything philosophy. I love to put them on hot sandwiches, in tofu scrambles all sorts of things. I am a little jealous you are in chile heaven there!